BaseballParentGuide.com - Official Blog
Welcome to the official blog of the Baseball Parent Guide. Our free baseball articles and daily post provide baseball parents with valuable drills and tips to help improve your home, team and backyard baseball practice. Our archive has hundreds of informative and useful articles and posts related to all aspects of baseball training, practice and skill development. Make sure to save this site to your favorites for future visits. Happy Hitting and Good Luck to Your Team!
Friday, October 9, 2009
10 Ways to Increase Your Baseball Batting Average - Besides Getting a Better Swing
By Jack Perconte
There are many things players can do to raise or maintain a high batting average. Obviously, developing improved baseball swing fundamentals and working on timing the ball are the most beneficial things to do. Beyond that, there are other not so obvious ways to keep a high batting average. This can be the difference between continuing to play and getting a seat on the bench. Dedicated players will look for all means to improve. Improving in the following areas can make at least a hundred point difference in a baseball player's batting average.
1. Improve running speed - the ability to beat out a few extra ground balls a season for a few extra hits will help maintain a good average.
2. Develop good bunting technique - as the previous point, being able to put down a few base hits via the bunt can make a big difference, especially when players are struggling with their swing or timing.
3. Have eyes checked before season - nothing is more important to hitters than their vision. Playing even a few games without great eyesight can be detrimental to a good average.
4. Learn and adhere to the strike zone - chasing bad pitches and not being willing to take a walk will hurt the player's average.
5. Know strengths and weaknesses - hitters who know what pitches they hit best and which they don't will have better success early in the count. (Players should consult coaches for this information if unsure).
6. Study the opposing pitcher - even young players should watch the opposing pitcher during warm-ups and in games to get an idea of their speed, control, etc.
7. Use the whole field - during batting practice players should work on hitting balls where they are pitched. It's a big advantage to be able to hit balls to all fields as opposed to only using half the field.
8. Cut down on swing with two strikes - players who just try to make contact and hit the ball back through the middle with two strikes have a great chance to maintain a high average.
9. Keep a good attitude - hitters that realize their next at bat can be different than their previous failed attempts will succeed. Forgetting bad at-bats is crucial to maintain confidence and belief in oneself.
10. Remember the directions to Carnegie Hall - practice, perfect practice, practice when others aren't.
Finally, good coaches will stress the above suggestions and help players develop these parts of their game. Over time, players will begin to do these on their own and notice how their batting average soars.
Former major league baseball player, Jack Perconte gives baseball hitting tips and batting practice advice for ballplayers of all ages. His baseball hitting lessons advice can be found at http://www.baseballhittinglessons.com/baseball Jack is the author of two books, "The Making of a Hitter" and "Raising an Athlete" - his parenting blog can be found at http://positiveparentinginsports.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jack_Perconte
===Advertisement from our sponsor:=====
Baseball2u.com/CoachesBest.com is the ultimate online baseball training annd coaching store. With over 1400 products organized into categories Baseball2u.com makes finding that baseball training product easy and simple. Order securely online or by phone. Baseball2u.com is a fully licensed company and has a full time staff available from 8:00 to 5:00 CST. Their toll free customer service number is 1-877-431-4487.
The Categories they have are: Baseball Training Equipment, Youth Baseball Training Equipment, Training Bats, Pitching & Throwing Trainers, Defensive Trainers, Batting Cages, Pitching Machines, Jugs Equipment, Game and Practice Baseballs, Protective Practice Screens and Nets, Portable Pitching Mounds, Baseball DVDs & Books, Clearance Items on Sales, BatAction Hitting Machines, Hurricane Hitting Machines, NEDCO Bataction Replacement Parts, SKLZ Hurricane Replacement Parts and Much Much More! Visit Baseball2U.com today!
Posted by Coach's Profile: at 3:58 AM